Right at this very moment, the enemy is pushing at me from several directions. It would be so easy to let the lies of my unworthiness, less-than-ness, failures, and shortcomings take residence in my heart. Strange enough, I’m not surprised by today’s attack. Do you know how to sense the enemy on the move?
Here are some tell-tale signs I need to buckle up and strap on some armor…all of which are current circumstances for me:
- Schedule is maxed-out
- Hormones are at their peak “dangerous level” (ladies, you know what I mean)
- I’m getting ready to send off a big project
- Husband is working out of town
- Ongoing struggle with my weight rages on
Each of these circumstances come with their own consequences that make me more vulnerable:
- Schedule = I sacrifice time for myself to recharge, breathe, spend enough time with God
- Hormones = Leaves me emotionally and physically drained and fragile
- Big Project = No longer in my control, self-doubt creeps in
- Husband = Lonliness, less help around the house, etc.
- Weight = Not sleeping as good, less energy, joint pain, old demons (guilt) surface, insecurities
Thankfully, there’s an answer for each of these. While I hope this post maybe speaks to you in some way, I’m truthfully writing these thoughts out as a tactic to fight back. I’m not feeling particularly warrior-like. In fact, I feel more like curling up at home with the covers over my head and hiding until life leaves me alone. But, nothing ever gets solved that way. While we remain a resident of this here planet on which we’ve been placed, we’re stuck with these earthly problems, these attacks.
So, here’s my weapons of choice today:
- Schedule: “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11.28-30
- Hormones: “For to set the mind on the flesh (body) is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.” Romans 8.6
- Big Project: We know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.” Romans 8.28
- Husband Gone: “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly for my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” 2 Corinthians 12.9
- Weight: “Whenever my heart is overwhelmed (tempted), lead me to the Rock that is higher than I.” Psalm 61.2
There is an inexplicable calmness that comes when reading over God’s word. Reminders that we’re not alone. He’s fighting for us still. I don’t know what battles you’re fighting today, battles you are anticipating, battles you’ve maybe lost but know you’ll have to fight again. Know you’re in good company, as all of us this side of heaven have some battle scars. But they aren’t permanent. God owns our hearts and to him each is priceless and worth fighting for.
So, enemy, go back where you came from.
Today is not your day.
How can I pray for you today? What Bible verses do you find most comforting and helpful?