It worked out great, as the hostess, that my own book would be the last in our month-long Birthday Bash Open House! Someplace Familiar‘s 3rd book birthday is actually tomorrow, May 30, but I want to get the post out there before the weekend and give folks through the end of tomorrow to enter our big GIVEAWAY (see below).
Someplace Familiar is my debut novel. Of course, as book mamas we never play favorites, but there’s something about your first book baby. I thought I’d share some fun little-known facts about this sweet story with you.
- I wrote the first draft in 30 days during National Novel Writer’s Month in November of 2014!
- It took more than 2 years of big rewrites and edits, including an entirely new opening chapter, to finish it.
- The original title was Good Graces, until an early editor asked “Aren’t all types of grace good?”
- Livy’s grandmother’s cottage is greatly inspired by my great-grandmother’s charming bungalow home in West Palm Beach, though obviously the book is set in the mountains of North Carolina.
- Jack’s last name (Bowdon) was my great-grandparents’ last name.
- Laurel Cove is a fictional town inspired by Burnsville, NC, which is the hometown of my best friend. It became my home away from home during college and I fell in love!
Anything on this list surprise you? It’s so fun to revisit the book and the memories of writing it. I’ve been doing that a lot lately as I write Suddenly Forever, book two in the Laurel Cove Romance series, which should (God willing!) release this fall! The characters and their journeys have both haunted and inspired me. I can’t be more excited to share more about it with you in the coming months.
For now, I’m so excited to celebrate Someplace Familiar turning three among all the other fun three-year-old titles we’ve already partied over this month! Thanks SO MUCH for celebrating with us!
Happy Birthday, Someplace Familiar!
ABOUT SOMEPLACE FAMILIAR
Available on Amazon
Artist Livy Johnson needs a fresh start. That’s what a broken heart and forgotten dreams can do to a person. On little more than a whim, she reclaims her grandmother’s old home in quaint Laurel Cove, North Carolina and vows to restore its original charm. When she literally collides with childhood friend, Jack Bowdon, Livy wonders if she’s back for an entirely different reason.
Jack can’t believe his childhood crush is back. As the owner of Bowdon’s Supplies, and once again the town’s most eligible bachelor, he offers to help Livy with repairs. Together they embark on the project—and an undeniable whirlwind romance.
But it’s not all smooth sailing. Can they survive the destructive pain of their pasts to discover God’s grace waiting to renovate their hearts?
I’m a wife, mama, and full-time communications professional who loves Jesus, coffee, and traveling whenever possible! While attending college in the mountains of North Carolina, I was taken by the beauty and peace of the landscape. The charming towns, friendly people, and southern hospitality have inspired her stories ever since. Now living in North Texas with my husband, daughter, and pup, North Carolina is never far from my heart or my writing.
Birthday Bash Open House Giveaway
TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAY:
On each Birthday Bash Open House post leave a comment. After leaving a comment on this post, check out the full list of posts HERE. One entry per person, per post. The winner will be drawn at random and announced on June 1 here on the blog.
*Sorry to international readers, but this giveaway is open to US residents only.