An author I’ve connected with through a mutual friend is doing something truly remarkable. Paul Combs, author of The Last Word, is beginning exciting plans for opening the only independent bookstore — actually, the only bookstore, period — in downtown Fort Worth, TX. The store, which will also boast the name The Last Word, will cater to indie authors, offer a selection of used books, as well as the latest titles.
You can help by checking out his GoFundMe page right now. Be part of the excitement, no matter where you reside. Be part of something special.
This is exciting to me on so many levels.
- As an avid book lover, bookstores have long been a favorite space of mine. They provide thousands of doors waiting to be opened — to new worlds, times, peoples, and ideas.
- This is an example of how resilient us authors can be. Paul has had this dream for years. Now, he is DOING it. And, he’s not afraid to ask for help. He understands the unlimited power of community. He’s tapping in to it. It’s inspiring.
- When I first heard of Paul’s new adventure to open The Last Word here in Fort Worth, I selfishly smiled at the thought of one day seeing my book(s) on his shelves, in my town. A place I might one day have the pleasure of doing readings and signings. This gives my dreams room to stretch.
- It’s an instance of fiction come to life, sort of. The Last Word, the book, is about a bookstore. I can’t wait to actually SEE Paul’s vision for the store in his book come to life. It’s almost like seeing a book come to the big screen, but better.
- Finally, it promotes a love of reading in the town I currently call home. Downtown Fort Worth, like many metropolitan/urban downtowns, have seen a revitalization take place over the last several years. To have a book store nestled between Fort Worth’s now vibrant downtown scene, our character will shoot through the roof. I have no doubt Paul will see great success.
I don’t plan on making a habit out of endorsing too many things like this on my blog. But, I’m sure you will agree this is a unique opportunity. One that’s not to be missed. Will you help Paul out? Even $10 can make a huge difference. Go here to learn more. I’ve pledged my support, and will continue to do so.